Hello all,

I'm looking for advice on potentially building relationships with the principals of a couple of our local public schools. I want to explore early enrollment at the schools, which would mean either Kindergarten next year (for my older son, who will be 4.5 at the start of the school year), or 1st grade (or beyond) the following year.

We are looking at multiple schools because we know that (due to wholly unrelated circumstances) we will be moving next summer. Thus, we could move to any school district in town, and it would be lovely to not have to move again anytime soon. My husband and I would like to tour the two elementary schools that we've heard good things about, and I've been told to contact the principals at each school to arrange tours.

So, as I prepare to contact them, I wonder....what should I say? We have done no testing, so I have no test scores to share. (We plan to test sometime after 4 and before 5.) I can provide anecdotal evidence (e.g., reading before the age of 2, writing before 3.5, solving basic math problems), though I often hate to do so, because I find my (true) claims are met with disbelief.

I feel I cannot simply arrange the tour, that I also need to bring up the possibility of early entrance, to gauge the principal's attitude/receptivity. But how to do it without sounding entitled, or like a braggart?

I would love advice from anyone who has been through this (or a similar) process before. Thanks!