6 yr old Son - First Grade

Teacher says:
Trouble with Reading and Writing
Trouble with focus and staying on task
Way above average on math and science

He does not qualify for any support or extra help through the public school.

Teachers Plan for reading/writing:
A volunteer retired teacher to work with him (and all the other kids) one on one with reading.

My gut says this is not enough.

I am thinking of going to his pediatrician. When the teacher talked about his being on/off task, she hinted and gave the canned statement of �you may want to talk to your pediatrician� during our meeting. He is not Add/Adhd. My DH asked her point blank if he is off task during subjects he enjoys like Math & Science and she said he is engaged the whole time. After the meeting, and I wished I had a video of it becuase he was so indignant about it, DS says "I am on task more than she ever notices."

I am going to his pediatrician to ask about having him tested for dyslexia or dysgraghia. To my untrained eye, he exhibits those traits on rare occasions. So it could be a waste of time.

Help:
What else I should ask his pediatrician??

Do we need a psychologist?
I suspect that he has anxiety about performing reading. He will not read to me at all, however, I have caught him reading to the cat just fine.

He makes up every excuse to not write, like, �I want to keep my writing to myself, I don�t have enough time, I can�t think of anything.� Etc. His handwriting is fine to good. His spelling is fine, at first grade phonetic level.

At the end of first grade here they give the Raven test for the gifted program that is a few hours a day, a few days a week. I am not entirely sure that is the right program for him. However, I know he needs something to stay motivated in school.

By the way, I am new here, until I had my son, I never new gifted existed. I searched, looking for reasons why he was the way he was. It all began when he started talking not just a few words but full sentences at about 10 months old. I had to stop talking to most of my friends about him because they don't understand. I need advice.