Trinity:
I think he just is tired of doing school work all week and so doesn't want to do it at home. But to be fair, I haven't had the time to actually sit for long and encourage him. I'm going to try again this weekend. Since I work full time, the weekday evenings are just too busy for adding more academic stuff. He just needs "mommy time" and some down time to be a kid!

I also think that the school will hesitate to have him work on ALEKS there, as he still needs help navigating through the tutorials. He is only 5 and 1/2, so although he is doing the math, he isn't really independent to read the explanations and udnerstand it all on his own. Needs that initial support and guidance to move through the steps correctly and grasp the concept initially. But then he can do the repetitions of the exercises with just a little supervision. But I know the school will say they don't say have a staff member who can monitor him.

He likes being with the other kids, too. When I asked him if he thought he would rather do 2nd grade math he said yes, because it would be harder and he likes hard math, but then he said he wouldn't like to be with new kids. Funny thing though, two days ago he told me that he informed his math teacher that "this math is way too easy." Unfortunately he couldn't tell me what her response was! DH and I figure she was stymied and said nothing!