Our schools use accelerated math, too, and I think it is OK, but lacking. At least it allows them to progress quickly if they already have mastered skills instead of endless repetition. However, I find that teachers can use it as a crutch and an excuse not to have to "teach" math. My kids seem to need human interaction to learn best. Also, according to my kids who have used accelerated math for up to 5 years now, one can navigate through the multiple choice format easily, without having to actually do the problems or understand the topics. This has been a serious problem with usually accelerated math exclusively as your math program.

My oldest son in middle school says he has learned nothing in math in the past 2 years (the school relies on accelerated math for advanced math students). Finally he was tired of "going through the motions" and he asked me if he could take an EPGY course. We're in month 3 of his first course, which is very challenging to him (something new for him). The process and technology were somewhat challenging to me, but now we've got it down. I recommend it IF your child is motivated (my son has to work after school and give up his highly-valued free time, but he's pretty committed). I still work with him on difficult topics because the human interaction can shortcut what would take him much longer to understand if relying only on himself.

Last year I went to the district gifted dept head and told them that my 7 yr old son what not learning much with just accelerated math. I told them he was a Davidson Institute Young Scholar and that DITD recommended ALEKS & EPGY. EPGY was too expensive for them to consider, but they were responsive to ALEKS and very quickly purchased it for his class (kudos to DITD influence!). The class loves it. It it more interactive than accelerated math and gives them feedback (pie charts showing skills still needed v. those mastered), worksheets to help develop skills (and encourage teacher interaction when there are questions), and still allows them to progress quickly. They are all working at lower levels than their accelerated math level (for instance, my son is in 7th grade accelerated math, but only 6th grade ALEKS) which I think reflects that ALEKS is more difficult. ALEKS is affordable, while EPGY is probably too high for most public schools. I've been trying to get our middle school to evaluate it for use, but haven't gotten far.