Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by Bostonian
What would happen if your daughter just did a smattering of the problems to show she knew how to do them, and you explained this in an email? In a system where there is no ability grouping and no acceleration in grades 1-5, so that placement depends entirely on age, it may be rational to blow off pointless work.

This is the kind of idea that a logical rational-thinking person would have. smile Unfortunately, schools don't always seem to work that way. There are three ability groups in the class, and if I send a message saying that DD only did a fifth of the problems, I risk planting the idea that either a) she has trouble with these problems and must therefore do more of them, or b) the kids in the top-level group can do all the problems at night, and she can't, so she doesn't belong in that group.

In the case where there is ability grouping and refusing to do all the problem would cause a transfer to a lower group, I would not consider the tactic I mentioned earlier. Our schools have no ability grouping in math until 7th grade, so I wonder how they would "punish" my son for skipping some work.