Originally Posted by Bostonian
What would happen if your daughter just did a smattering of the problems to show she knew how to do them, and you explained this in an email? In a system where there is no ability grouping and no acceleration in grades 1-5, so that placement depends entirely on age, it may be rational to blow off pointless work.

This is the kind of idea that a logical rational-thinking person would have. smile Unfortunately, schools don't always seem to work that way. There are three ability groups in the class, and if I send a message saying that DD only did a fifth of the problems, I risk planting the idea that either a) she has trouble with these problems and must therefore do more of them, or b) the kids in the top-level group can do all the problems at night, and she can't, so she doesn't belong in that group.

I suppose that, in some ways, it really doesn't matter which fourth-grade math group my DD is in. The top group is only slightly less below her level. It's like the grade skip: she still isn't at a level that would really challenge her, but things are just...less bad this way. And of course, a grade skip has spared her a year of pointlessness at school.

But I am probably just a pushy parent who won't let her daughter be a kid, because, really, there is nothing bad about being in the lower group when she really needs to have that "extra time" to "build that foundation."