That's where things vary from state to state. Algebra 1 is also a high school course here, but students who take it in 7th grade do not get high school credit for it. They get high school math placement from it, but not credit on their transcript.

Same here. My ds12 is taking Alg this year in 7th and ds10 will actually take it next year in 6th, but neither boy will get credit for it. Ds10 takes pre-alg at the MS (he is in 5th grade at the elementary school) and yes, he is registered for the class. I can see him in the online site. However, it will not go on his MS transcripts and the Alg, Geo and AlgII/Trig that he takes in 6th, 7th and 8th grades will also not go on his HS transcripts. He will fulfill his needed three years of math by taking pre-Calc, Calc and Calc III in HS. I am not sure what he'll do his last year- maybe some FACs or something more laid back smile
I'm actually excited that my ds10, who has always raced through math with minimum effort, is not being graded. His pre-alg teacher is a very precise and particular grader (last test he got points off for not copying the "repeating decimal" sign on a number in his scratch work-not the answer, but just the work he did off to the side-even though it didn't change the answer and the repeating decimal sign wasn't part of the answer... their "scratch" work is graded because all work must be shown). It's kind of nice that he is learning to be very careful and specific and grades don't matter!