I don't know anything about the study program Wolf has been in, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt - but here goes! It might also sound like I'm saying B&M schools are better than homeschool etc, and I'm not - it's just a list of the things I think that you can contemplate for Wolf - I think there are quite a few things between where he's at now and graduating from high school that can be fun and beneficial for him if you send him back to a B&M school.

I think that many times when we look at our children's education it's easiest to quantify "where" they are at by looking at the nuts-and-bolts core curriculums of Language Arts & Math - but really there is so much more that goes on in B&M schools, particularly once you get to middle and high school. For instance, has Wolf studied a foreign language yet? My ds12, 7th grade, is in his 2nd year of Spanish and he loves it. Is Wolf taking any kind of music lessons? Has he studied any programming yet? Those are all things that my children have studied *in* school.

There is also the component of having real live people in the room for having a discussion - a type of learning that's not necessarily terribly deep but it's out there as a potential push for thinking in a different direction than happens when you're taking virtual courses - and even if it's not up to the intellectual level a child is capable of, I still see that it's spurred ds12 on to think more about things he wouldn't have otherwise on his own, which I think is worth something. I'm sure I mangled up that explanation so completely that it doesn't make sense, but what I'm trying to say is that ds is getting different things out of not-so-high-level courses at school in things like social studies than he gets from the gifted out-of-grade-level courses he is taking outside of school online, and they both have their merits.

There is also (I think) a potential that when you have a child pacing quickly through the curriculum on their own they are potentially only focusing on the required curriculum, and there is a lot that kids who aren't racing through are getting "on the side" in the B&M classroom. For instance, in my ds' Spanish class, he isn't just learning how to speak and write Spanish, he's learned so much about culture in Spanish speaking countries around the world. He watches movies in Spanish. He has live conversations in Spanish. He hears his teacher speak on-the-fly in Spanish. I see him benefit from seeing the work that other students do in subjects like Social Studies and Science.

You mentioned that writing and typing are roadblocks for Wolf because he thinks quicker than he can output. My ds12 has the same challenge. Are you completely certain Wolf doesn't have either dysgraphia or an expressive language disorder? And whether or not that's the case, finding ways to cope with this challenge is extremely important once our kids hit middle school. Eventually they *have* to cope with it, and there are tons of ways to do so, but now is the time to really start focusing on trying to find the AT that is going to make it possible for Wolf to get his thoughts out in "written" expression ("written" can mean typing, voice-to-text, etc - but he needs to be able to do it independently, not with scribing and oral reports to a teacher). If you find that the words and ideas *still* aren't flowing out even after Wolf has found accommodations that should work for him (for example, he knows how to type and is proficient at it but still struggles summarizing a book or writing a multiple-paragraph story), then there may be more going on than just physical output issues, and now a *great* time to really work on written expression and tackling whatever challenges are there - before AP classes, before IB, before talent search online classes, etc.

My last suggestion - it may look like there are no choices/options for Wolf within your local schools, but there may be more than is obvious on the surface. While there might not be a "gifted" program, there may be classes grouped based on ability. There may be some amazing teachers and advisors who would love to work with a kid like Wolf. There may be cool after-school programs like robotics etc that Wolf could get excited about. The science lab may be amazingly well-equipped. There may be teachers who are passionate about what they teach - a biology teacher who really brings biology to life. There might be a wide *variety* of courses in subjects that Wolf loves.

Best wishes,

polarbear