Two very strong visual learners here (me and ds6). We went through a phase where we thought ds was delayed in auditory processing around 2.5-3.5; he just didn't seem to "get it", as you said. We had 3 speech evals done (at different places from 2-4 years) and audiologist-performed hearing eval - all were 'normal'. DS did not seem to have trouble with word recall and speech fluidity, however. He DID stutter for about a year (they said his brain just worked a lot faster than his tongue).

I clearly remember trying to teach DS his address and home phone number. I made up a little song for our phone number - but it never really stuck (although somehow it sunk into his long-term memory because he'll sing it NOW...2 years later). I finally wrote is name, address, and phone number in large print and put it on the fridge. I never reviewed it with him, but he would read it outloud randomly. After about 2 weeks he had it down.

I,personally, remember things more easily to songs and rhymes, but ds doesn't seem to take to this approach as easily. I think I'm actually a more visual-dependent learner than he is. I can't remember names if I don't see them written, and don't even waste your breath telling me auditory directions to a new place. It means nothing to me. Draw me a map, write the directions down - no problem. The best way I can explain it is that I think in pictures...the clearer the picture, the easier I can access the information.

My grades went up considerably when I got into middle school, and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I started taking notes. Taking notes completely solidifies what I'm hearing. I'm really, really good at listening whilst still filtering the information I need to write down - and that is why I think I was able to succeed in college.

It AMAZES me the people who have never had to take a note in class. It also blows me away when my dh, after seeing a movie just once, can quote specific lines verbatim.

Anyway, I suggest that you go ahead and do a good hearing test (with an audiologist) since any evaluator will want to have that information. Beyond that, maybe a private speech therapist would be a good starting point (they're usually covered by insurance). A speech therapist may not be the only stop as you figure things out...but might give you a general direction.

Also...thanks for the references, Zen Scanner. I wish I had known more about visual/spacial learning when I was younger. I spent a fair amount of time feeling 'dumb' because some things just didn't sink in (like I could not tell time FOREVER...it was humiliating).

BTW...may be incidental, but I am a lefty and so is my ds.

Last edited by Evemomma; 09/21/12 11:46 AM.