Originally Posted by CCN
Joking aside, I think sports are extremely important, so my two are usually enrolled in something. Currently it's swimming, skating and gymnastics smile

I used to think that being involved in a competitive sport was important, I've changed my way of thinking on that in the last 8 years or so. When my eldest was a mid-teen and had been on numerous teams that experienced varying levels of success, he came to me one day and said, "You know, I just can't seem to find a team that wants to ACT like a team, treat each other with dignity and respect, help each other on and off the field, everything a team is suppose to do. If I can't be on a REAL team I have no interest. I'll just do something on my own."

He did, he started into the gym and trained hard in lifting and very disciplined in his diet and sleep. He went from being the little smart kid to one of the more physically developed young men his Jr. & Sr. years in HS.....and he did it by doing his own research, his own discipline and perseverance, and by requesting advice from others and sorting out the good suggestions from the bad. He never competed, though having judged body building contests I think he'd have done well, however, he learned the same lessons he would have in competitive sports, the same ones I learned doing so.

This changed my train of thought. As long as my boys are doing something to keep them physically healthy, I'm good with that. Now DS #2 (14 years old) has seen what it's done for his brother and goes to the gym with me 3 times a week. He's a music kid but his older brother lead by example.