I just wanted to chime in that I think that athletics and it's importance in childhood is much more of a family lifestyle decision than it is a matter of whether you kid is going to be athletic or not. In other words, how does your family view athletics? Is it primarily a fun way to get exercise? Something that you'd like to encourage because it helps build friendships and a sense of team? Something your family deosn't really place much stock in? Or, do you think athletics is very important to a well-rounded childhood? Are you hoping for an athletic scholarship to college? Are you die-hard sports fans and look forward to your child's participation? It holds a different level of importance for every family.

Did want to offer another perspective, also. DD11 was involved in various sports but never was particularly driven at them. But, she fell in love with one sport and then, because all her friends at her small school were doing it, started playing two other sports. These are all school sports and my DD is more than 2 years younger than some of her teammates. What we have found is that she plays up to the level of her coaching and her teammates -- she rises to the challenge. If she was still playing with 5th graders, we really feel like she would be playing at a 5th grade skill level. But because she is with 7th graders and being taught 7th grade skills, she is competing with them. Is she the best person on the team? No. Is she the worst person on the team? Not at all. And, while she's never been the shortest person on her team or in her grade despite being two years younger, as they all hit adolescence, she is on her way to becoming one of the tallest girls on her team, although it may not happen for another year or so.

So, I guess my point is, things change and you can only do so much to anticipate how things will change. So I think it's a question of your family values in so many arenas (sports, academics, friendships, etc.) that, while we can all give you advice and offer up our experiences, you're just going to have to go with your gut after you've done your best to take everything into account.

She thought she could, so she did.