Teens and tweens have very sensitive BS sensors. Engineer Barbie is bound to set it off. Barbie is just not an engineer, even with a pocket protector and slide rule in tow. (Ergh hate Barbie even did as a child.) Women in pencil skirts and high heels don't dance around labs juggling test tubes and lipstick tubes.

IMO the girls who reject the failed attempts to "feminize" STEM described in the article realize the images presented are completely fictional.

I work in a non-STEM male dominated field. I love to wear great clothes and shoes and look as good as I can (in a classy and professional way I hope.) Looking good gives you an edge. Looking like Barbie would be a major professional liability. One of the most talented women in my field wears no makeup and obviously throws on whatever is handy every day but she is deeply respected for her tremendous ability.

I hope that teen girls can learn to aspire beyond "girly" and find and use their best talents in a productive and satisfying way. Find a real woman who is accomplished and relatable in these fields like Ms. McKellar to make STEM seem more attainable. Trying to sell frothy fiction as reality won't work, especially with this audience.