Although we talk about hanging with ability with intelligence being the key factor, sometimes, it is something else.

All summer DD hangs with a girl, a little younger, though 5 inches taller, who can swim like her. Most of her intellectual peers do not feel comfortable in the ocean, especially with 4-5 ft waves. DD becomes BFFs with this kid, who is not even close to her intellectual peer just to have a swimming buddy on the beach and do things in the water. And DD becomes a different kid hanging with her. Now, that she is back in school (and this is several summers of experience) she goes back to her gifted classroom and hangs with her "intellectual" buddies. But there is a clear definition between groups in the gifted class. DD is into Disney XD, music, hip hop though she loves her science classes. The kids in her science class in the museum were into playing ponies or something and DD tried but couldn't relate. I am talking about 2 kids that were in her school class and also in her museum science class. (An unual circumstance that 3 kids in the same NYC class were in the science class of 20 kids of that age group for the whole city. One mother is a pullitzer winner science writer for the times. )

Anyway, just because there is intellectual match-up, doesn't mean friendship. DD leans towards the "Seinfeld" comic in the class. Likes the wit, the quickness of thought.

I thought I would bring this up since looking at the Davidson fellows, so many were science oriented. Even DH was science oriented, winning state science fairs and stuff but then got to Harvard and most loved being on the Lampoon. His buddies write for Simpsons and other TV shows. The science ones are Christmas card friends.

You can be math oriented, like myself, like DD, but just crave a different track and populace. And then I think it is harder to fit in. You are always hovering over the lines of definition.