Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Originally Posted by deacongirl
Originally Posted by Iucounu
That sounds like a little slice of heaven, honestly. You don't want her getting to college with these kinks un-ironed.

Exactly! My mom thinks that this will negatively affect her self-esteem (IMO self-esteem comes from putting in effort and then reaching your goals, and sitting in class for a year learning absolutely nothing new and having to put forth no effort is what is detrimental to healthy self-esteem.)

Honestly--I was a little bit shocked at how unprepared she was to actually study. They have a map quiz on the Middle East tomorrow. She did not know how to approach memorizing countries and their capitols. Seriously. There were tears. (Thankfully she found a website that is helpful and now knows them.) This is precisely why I wanted her to skip. I know from experience that going to college with those kinks un-ironed is not a pretty sight.

Take it from me, good self-esteem in an adolescent PG daughter does NOT NOT NOT come from 'perfect' scores.

It comes from hard work, proportionally rewarded. You can't get that "proportionally" part of things without making things a reach.
My DD is far, far prouder of her A- grades (honors math coursework) than any of the A+ ones in science and social studies. Some parents might be more worried about dinging her 'perfect' transcripts. I'm more worried about her developing a resilient and authentic sense of self-worth.
laugh

Don't go down the road of "perfect." That train stops at some very unpleasant places, including anxiety, affective/eating disorders, and ultimately even task-avoidant perfectionism and underachievement.
This is why you skipped!

Happiest day of my life in DD's academic career was the day that she beamed from ear to ear after earning a B+ in second-semester Geometry. Truly. That felt awesome to her precisely because she had to battle back from a disastrous first midterm, on which she earned a humiliating 67%.

Can you talk to my mom? lol! You were more eloquent than I was, but that is exactly what I was trying to tell her. I had to bold the parts I esp. liked. Thank you! (and happy for your dd she got to experience that sense of accomplishment!)