Originally Posted by CCN
Originally Posted by deacongirl
I think it actually shows that the kid had no idea how to study and it is a good thing she will be required to. She can choose to redo one assessment during the 9 week period. She was upset of course, but I don't think she is scarred!

Tell your mom that I lived it, and you are absolutely correct.

(Or maybe Evemomma is right: and avoid the topic... wink )

As an adult looking back at my own useless, sucky education I would have given anything if my parents had skipped me so that I could have been challenged and learned study skills when I was young. My mom and dad didn't know any better - I always had the top marks in my grade so they assumed everything was fine. In high school I still managed to stay on the honor roll until the last half of grade 12, without ever doing homework or having any study skills. Had I gone to university I would have been toast.

This is precisely why I keep DS8 in French Immersion even though he has a language processing disorder (tell your mom that, lol ;p ) Nah, she'll think I'm crazy ;p

Anyway... listen to your instincts, and remember this is kind of uncharted territory for the uninitiated. They have no frame of reference from which to understand. Your mom just means well, but IMHO you're the one who's right this time.

Thank you! I lived it too--but I can't exactly come right out with it so bluntly.

My mom does mean well. She still thinks (or I guess is trying to justify it) that she did the right thing by not wanting to put pressure on us and put us with the "wierd" gifted kids who had no time for fun. She says she never had to crack a book until college, but she has great memories of school and had a wonderful childhood and was happy to be social and not study. She has no hint of executive function issues so somehow managed a challenging course of study in college. I don't get it, but whatever--that wasn't my experience, and it certainly wouldn't be dd's. This is a kid who said she thought it would be a punishment to do work that is too easy.

Anyway--thanks for the validation. Hopefully it was enough of a wake-up call to her that it won't repeat. Although she was painting posters for her Harry Potter birthday party (in November) last night instead of studying when I got home from church with the younger two.

Oh--and French immersion I think is the thing that saved my (German)dh when he was 10. It was hugely beneficial to him. (Aside from the obvious benefit of learning the language).