My HG+ dd8 struggled to learn to read due to a weakness in associative memory (linking visual cues into long-term memory). This is a different type of challenge than stealth dyslexia, but fwiw it was recommended to us that she use audiobooks for higher-level reading (reading material that matched and challenged her cognitively), but that it was also important for her to continue to develop her visual reading skills by reading without audio and reading with audio and following along with her finger - however the time she spent reading specifically to develop visual skills was supposed to be limited each day (so she doesn't get stressed out over it) and was supposed to be with *easier* level books, so that she's actually developing her skills. If she attempted to follow along on the level of books she's capable of understanding she'd not be able to, would get frustrated and give up.

With the level of reading kids get once they hit middle school, I'd probably switch to audiobooks as much as possible for language arts assignments (the type of assignment where you're analyzing and discussing content) and put together a program on the side that addresses specific reading skills that your ds needs to develop further.

I also think adding in audiobooks to take some of the stress off of reading large amounts of material for a slow reader would be really important if you're dealing with dysgraphia also, because dysgraphia has the potential to really impact the time it takes to do homework, at least that's been our dysgraphic ds' experience. I'd guesstimate he's spending at least 2-3 times the amount of time on homework his classmates do simply due to physical challenges and he's using a TON of AT.

Best wishes,

polarbear