We are in the process of figuring all this out too. We started audio books for DD the summer before kindergarten. She "read" so many that she was asked to represent her school receiving an award from the governor for the Summer Reading Challenge. She listens to middle school level books and truly can't get enough of them. (Age 7 - just started 2nd grade.) When we recently redid our neuropsych eval I asked about it. He explained that the complex plots, rich language and high level vocabulary must "feel really good". He has told the school that they need to work in 2 "enrichment/anxiety" breaks per day so she can go listen to her high level books and get a break from the rest of the day that is SO difficult for her.

I am not an expert - and we are in the process of trying to figure it all out - but DD will absolutely be doing her "comprehension" work this way. If we asked her to follow along with the text she would just shut down. I assume she would give up these audio books she loves rather than have them add to her anxiety.

Please continue to post about this. I am eager to hear how other kids have worked with these. Thanks.