I don't think the similarities scores reflect his abilities. The comprehension score may be accurate. As I understand it, the subtest requires answers to questions about social situations, and I think he had a very poor understanding of social situations at the time of the test. He has improved somewhat in this area, but it may help to explain his poor social skills, at least in part.

The psychologist did not recommend any further evaluation based on his scores,(because his reading, comprehension and spelling were about 18 months ahead) rather she explained that he had a dominant visual-spatial learning style, and that his teachers should be aware of this, along with his relatively weaker auditory skills. I took him to the SLP myself earlier this year because I could see that he was struggling to get his thoughts on paper. His teacher hadn't really noticed until I mentioned it.

Here are the subtest scores (standard score and percentile rank) for the CELF:

Concepts and directions 11 (63%)
Word structure 13 (84%)
Recalling Sentences 10 (50%)
Formulated Sentences 12 (75%)
Word Classes- Receptive 11 (63%)
Word Classes- Expressive 14 (91%)
Word Classes- Total 13 (84%)
Sentence Structure- 13 (84%)
Expressive Vocabulary- 11 (63%)

Receptive Language Score 111 (77%)
Expressive Language Score 110 (75%)
Core Language Score 109 (73%)

The SLP didn't mention anything about the length of time it took him to answer the various subtests, though it would be interesting to know. These scores don't really seem to reflect the difficulty he has with both generating creative thoughts and writing them down. Since using some graphic organisers at school, his teacher tells me that he is improving with information reports, but is still having trouble with creative writing.

She also suggested a program called "Visualising and Verbalising" but we haven't looked at this yet.