Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by ozmum
She commented that he had no concept of "alike or "similar". In the comprehension subtest, when asked why a policeman wore a uniform he answered "so he won't get cold".

This seems like a perfectly valid answer to the given question to me. If it wasn't the one expected, then that's probably more a reflection on the tester than the testee.

This is a common problem for testing gifted individuals, because they see things differently than expected, and that would be very likely to show up on a subtest for similarities. The test is about relationships, and different objects can be related in several different ways.

This is my son! He spent time last year with the school district speech pathologist because of his expressive/receptive language disorder. She commented that even when given instructions on "how" to answer object relationship questions, he'd only be compliant for a short while and then go off on his own abstract tangent.

I took her concern with a grain of salt. He's highly imaginative and he was bored. It was the classic example of a tester/therapist looking at one part of a big picture and the child's cognition being somewhere else on the picture.