Originally Posted by Dude
The teaching profession is under assault from a number of different forces, so it's no wonder that talented people take their talents elsewhere. Demands are up (and often unrealistic), hours are up, pay is flat or declining (and was always far below market value for its level of qualifications), benefits quickly disappearing, etc. Who with a brain would stand for it?

I won't say anything more about unions except that the idea that they're the problem is hilarious.

I agree. I can't believe anyone would go into that profession these days given the administrators, parents and politicians with whom they will have to deal these days.

I would also add to another's point about subjectivity that what constitutes a good teacher for one child may not translate to another. My son had the most beloved teacher at his school in kindergarten, and I have no doubt that she is a good teacher. She was not a good teacher for my son, however, and it was a miserable year for him. Doesn't mean her career should be over given how many other students she'd nurtured.

And for Bostonian- Texas teachers are not unionized and not protected by tenure, so surely we should be tops in the nation, right?