Does anyone but me ever feel like there is no way they can possibly do enough to encourage their child? DD6 has recently (thanks to a creative Kindergarten teacher last year) developed an interest in Biology, especially Marine Biology. I feel fortunate that we live near the coast, because while it is a subject I know little about (I majored in Physics in college) we have lots of aquariums and hospitals for various sea creatures within a couple of hours of us. The other day she picked up a high school Biology book that I picked up when I was teaching high school )they were about to throw it out, and I can't bear to trash books). I honestly thought she was just looking at the pictures and reading a caption here and there. But today, out of the blue, she asked me what sex was. I was taken by surprised and not sure how much detail she would want at her age, so I just told her that it was how babies are made. Her response: "Nuh-uh.....babies are made from amino acid, and they evolve."
I was so proud of her for actually reading the book that is far above her grade level. At the same time, it was another in a series of moments that made me think I am not doing anywhere near enough for her, and I don't know how to fix that.
Sigh....as I've said before....I thought it would make life EASIER to have a gifted child!