Another random thought to toss out there - for a lot of us here with 2e kiddos, the "low" working memory score is relative to other very high subtest scores. So - our kids aren't necessarily working with a *truly* low working memory, but perhaps an average or slightly-above-average WM. I remember when our ds had his first neuropsych eval at 8 years old, his WM score came in at around the 75th percentile for his age group, his processing speed score which was around the 50-60th percentile and his WM score was higher but not anywhere near his VIQ/PRI scores. His neuropsych focused on the need for remediation/accommodations for factors impacting his processing speed, and I remember asking whether or not WM wasn't also something we needed to remediate/accommodate. Her answer was that his score, even though it wasn't up as stratospherically high as the VIQ/PRI, was still adequate and that WM was something that worked more like an on/off switch - either you have it or you don't... but an average or slightly-above-average WM was not an issue for a HG/EG/PG kid in and of itself. One gotcha there though is with some disabilities such as dysgraphia (which our ds has)... WM can get entirely consumed by something like the act of handwriting... otoh, it wouldn't matter for a dysgraphic if they had very little WM or were up in the 99.9th percentile - the act of handwriting would still consume it all and leave nothing over for other parts of the writing task.

So that's how I understand it in the one instance of being relative to my one child - which isn't much re understanding! But fwiw...

polarbear