Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Tracy, I'm not very familiar with the current situation in Washington state, but I can shed some light on general trends and state policy in all three Pacific coast states.

Howler, you've offered wonderful insight and advice... but I just had to add one thing... there are 5 Pacific coast states... not 3 laugh (please know I'm not picking on you, as a resident of one of the other two, I just couldn't let that one slip by!).

My experience in my farther north Pacific coast state has been that in our school district "gifted" is much more about achievement than it is about ability, and even though we have a magnet program for HG+ kids, public school wasn't ideal for our EG kiddo.. or for our high-achieving HG+ kiddo either.

When it comes to making decisions about where to live, however, my personal take on it is to choose based on where your family fits best outside of school - what do you like to do in your spare time? What's fun for you all together as a family? Things like that. Are you city folk? Do you like to ski? Are you at home on the water? Are you laid back or high energy? What do you do on the weekends together? I may be an outlier here in my outlook on it, but I tend to think that as long as we do the best we can do with the educational choices we have where we live, that's enough. We might not be able to offer our EG/PG kiddos the ultimately best education they could benefit from as children, but it's the values and memories and support system we give them as a family that is going to be the cornerstone they build on as they move forward in their adult life.

That said, I'm also danged frustrated with school and if all was equal re *outside* of school, we could transport friends with us, and it didn't cost $ I'd probably jump at the opportunity to move smile

Good luck with your move!

polarbear