Is this really a concern for the GT? If your scores are high enough on the college entrance exams aren't you expecting to get a big chunk of aid from the university? And if that is the case you should realize that any additional aid you get from one source will often limit money from another. I know from my own experience in undergrad that when I found a scholarship from an outside source that the result was the university cut another scholarship award I had to the point that I actually ended up with less aid than if I hadn't gotten the outside scholarship... In grad school I was over funded from so many sources that more than 40% of the money I was awarded was returned to the source as it was beyond the school's official budget... I'm only saying this because there are a lot of sources of scholarships and fellowships out there and if you are a high achiever you can easily get it all paid for without accepting any government aid.

A part of me is glad that they had added this to the government rules, it should cut down on the number of poor kids that are suckered into those degree mills like University of Phoenix that simply seek to make money and rubber stamp diplomas... Though in a perfect world the would ban giving any money to students that could not achieve at least a score above the 50th percentile on a major college entrance exam, I've also known many people that got into large public universities with ACT scores between 11 and 13 (how you can score that low on a multiple choice exam boggles the mind).