I started my PhD almost 20 years ago, and even then, people would say things like "Joey found a permanent position" as though Joey had won the lottery. I don't know why they keep pushing the idea that we need more scientists.

It's not just finding a job that's difficult. Once someone gets an academic position, he has to start writing grant applications. Many of NIH programs fund ~10-15% of their applications. It's even harder than that if you're a new investigator. And don't even get me started about how conservative they are. The joke among scientists is that you have to have done the work before they'll fund it. Back in the 70s, they funded around a third of their applications.

Part of the problem can be blamed on the government for not putting enough into research, but IMO, the more serious problem is that when the NIH budget doubled in the 90s, the universities responded with building and hiring sprees. IMO, the federal government also allows too much in indirect costs (50% or more of a grant).