Hi

I initially posted this as a reply to another thread. But I thought I would bring it up to the top here.

It is possible to homeschool and work. I have 3 years experience doing just that. I am a physician and DH is an engineer. We had no intentions of homeschooling until a principal pulled me aside and gave me an honest opinion that my kids were not going to be served in his district because there was no gifted funding. We searched for a suitable option and found none that could accommodate more than a moderately gifted child.

When the kids were younger we had a lady up the street with a small in home day care. She had raised a gifted son and loved our kids being there during the day. We laid out their lessons and they did them there. After we moved away from her, we used a nanny, who didn't teach but was available for questions etc, and did a lot of field trips.

Now, DH works from home. We have the lessons laid out for the week and go over new topics on Sunday night. During the week they work through lessons, watch educational videos and do projects and do online classes. The blessing of gifted kids is that they get things so fast it makes homeschooling easier. Mine are old enough that if DH has to go out of town they can stay at home alone. Big difference!

Of course there are days where we get off track or have less motivation. But it is by far less frustrating than having them bored in a school that simply doesn't have suitable classes.

The biggest factor is the kids personalities. They WANT to homeschool. (good thing because I was very reluctant) They are overall highly motivated and love the challenge and the freedom to schedule things in their own way. This wouldn't work for every child or every work situation. But, with so many posts here on people thinking of trying it- I wanted to post something. If you are serious- look into it. It may be easier than you think!