I would suggest taking a 'the jury is still out' approach. Everyone has both aeas of raw potential and areas of challenge. One of my parents favorite expressions is; You play the hand you're dealt!

So if I'm trying to figure if a 2e issue is involved I look at the person's daily function....are they developing their potential and learning stratigies to overcome the challenges? IQ and achievement test sometimes offer hint to illuminate a person's potential but ittt isn't a sure thing because the challenge areas can block a persons demonstration of that potential. The same thing can happen in reverse but when it doesn't the challenges like your working memory can at least be seen.

I always see test as representing the bottom edge of possible for a persons potential although there are a few instances where a score from under the age of 5 does turn out to be an overestimate. I never see them as saying to give up on someones potential. Mostly tests are a good way to organize our observations on a very complicated topic.

Hope this helps
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com