Originally Posted by Lori H.
The strange thing is that unlike a lot of kids with dyspraxia he isn't clumsy at all until he gets tired which happens faster for him than other kids. I noticed this when I watched him practicing dances in his musical theater class with other kids. The classes were two hours and he was fine for about 45 minutes and then he his fatigue would affect his performance. It was the same with handwriting and piano unless we broke it up throughout the day. He has low muscle tone and his top finger joints bend way back which causes difficulty in writing and in cutting with a knife, yet he taught himself to type and types about 60 wpm, can text very quickly on his iPhone, and had no trouble learning to take out his new contact lenses but has to do it with his left hand even though he is right handed. Actually, he seemed ambidextrous in kindergarten so we encouraged him to write only with his right hand. He often eats with his left hand.

Lori, thanks for posting about your ds - it's interesting because some of it sounds so much like my ds with dyspraxia! He doesn't look like he's really very "different" (although it sounds like he's less coordinated than your ds), but he tires easily. His finger joints also bend backwards, and even though he's always defaulted to his right hand for writing etc, he's not right-hand dominant, he's basically "no hand dominant". Like your ds, there are some fine motor things he can do a-ok with his hands, others that he is challenged with.

polarbear