OK, here's my dilemma - which school to pick!

History:

I have an HG+ rising 6th grader (DD10) who skipped 2nd, comfortably top 5-10% of the class. Recently ID'd with dyslexia and presumed ADD-I. Significant introvert and likes a steady routine.

She is in a K-6 elementary which feeds to a 7-12 Jr/Sr high school. School has generally not been a good fit but we've muddled through - least worst and all that. 6th grade is where they start switching classes, and get all the fun stuff of the oldest students (saftey patrol, news team, teachers aide, special field trips, end of year dance, 'graduation', etc.) This school, though generally well regarded (well, it's an "A-rated" school based on the various standardized tests) doesn't handle out-of-the-box so well - we had to fight for the grade skip and their perspective on technology is a little dated - e.g. my DD is not allowed to bring her Kindle to school, as it is considered an unacceptabled electronic device, on par with cell phones and ipods. 2-3 computers in classrooms, although there is a computer lab, which they get access to 1/2 hour once a week as a class. All classes have smartboards.

There is a new charter middle school, near where I work, starting next year (they don't yet have a lease signed for the new building, don't have 501(c)(3) status, wet behind the ears, green, new). They did get a significant startup grant and have accepted about 120 students, about 3:1 6th to 7th graders for next school year. They plan to use the grant funding for laptops, tablets and Macs and teach primarily from those resources (including e-textbooks) instead of textbooks, and for band instruments (Arts and Sciences Academy). The charter is clearly focused on college prep and is an outgrowth of a motivated sub-population within a generally poor, rural, and less-educationally motivated region. It appears that upwards of 50% of the students enrolled are ID'd as gifted.

Oh, did I mention that the charter is in a different school district? With a completely different break schedule (except for winter break) from the current school system, where my DS7 is likely to remain. Now, there is a possibility that I could move my DS to the charter elementary (which is where many of the students for this charter middle are coming from). If we did go through the bureaucracy to change districts, I'm not sure we could change back if there is a problem or what hoops that would entail, but it is on my current list of things to research further.

I really like the idea of the charter - they seem to have the right answers for my questions, it's predominantly run by teachers and parents, but I'm afraid we'd be jumping from the frying pan into the fire and the logistics will be a nightmare, unless I move DS, too, which feels like a much less beneficial solution for him (based on what I know now). I've been going in circles for about 2 weeks so thought I'd ask for some outside perspective from the board. Pros, cons, questions, ideas, things to dig into further, etc. There have been such good ideas and suggestions when others have come to the board with similar situations.

Thanks!!

Prissy