Originally Posted by g2mom
I really dont understand all the criticism of the OP. Everyone here is constantly complaining about lack of research on their kids.

I could have added a note to my message. The criticisms I've read here are the kinds of points that drive responsible peer review in any discipline. Science wouldn't advance if people couldn't criticize other people's work. I can see that if you aren't a scientist, it may sound kind of harsh.

The goals of peer review are to help authors improve their work, to reduce the numbers of substandard studies the make it into journals, and sometimes, to force a revision to an idea or set of findings. It's not a perfect system, but it's a lot better than the alternative. In most cases, a badly designed study is worse than no study at all. A lot of researchers, myself included, prefer to hear honest comments up front so that we don't hear them later when the stakes are higher (such as when you're standing in front of 200 people at a conference).

If the OP works as a researcher, she's been getting these kinds of comments since she did her first undergraduate research project. We all get them. I get comments like this every week and just received some a half-hour ago (and will get more tomorrow after people read a grant application I wrote).