Originally Posted by JamD
Langsford felt that dyslexia was NOT an issue, because none of her scores were "low enough." I think she is a very strong auditory learner also. (At least, on that test at langsford she was in the 99th percentile.)

One thing I'm learning about hanging around this board is that this is generally a red herring. Yes, most kids with dyslexia will have much lower scores. However, a child with a ton of verbal firepower under the hood can compensate quite well. It's not until they get older that the neurological gaps start to show themselves.

The profile you posted looks quantitatively quite similar to my DD's reading profile, given as part of a neuropsych exam, which identified dyslexia and dysgraphia.

As of Monday, DD is on an IEP for reading (phonics), spelling and writing. The goals are very high because her reading ability and comprehension are at a high school level despite her middlingly average scores 4th grade levels for things like decoding and spelling.

The way it's been explained to me is that there are two parts of the brain that have to coordinate to read and write -- the message part and the mechanics part. For kids wired like DD, these don't operate in parallel well. She needs to use them in sequence. Because she has such strong verbal skills, she's just dropped using the mechanics part, inferring meaning for unfamiliar words. At the moment, we're now doing the equivalent of patching the dominant eye to train the lazy eye --giving DD a ton of the mechanics where the meaning has been stripped to give the mechanics part exercise and training.

In practice, this will be done with a lot of phonics with multi-sensory approaches to get her to focus on these mechanics. Once she's learned them, then we teach her to use them together with her skills to infer meaning. When it comes to writing, the plan is to teach her to write for meaning first, and edit for mechanics second (including, for instance, the writing of mathematics). Because of this need to sequence, she's qualified for extra time on tests, including state standardized tests.