Ugh.

DS can manage all day at the Science Center without even being reminded. But once I loose the option of taking him home from there, I'm SOL. As it were. Especially S, but both, really.

People say to me that he just doesn't want to stop what he's doing, or that when he's distracted he doesn't think of it but... erm... yeah, he does best at the SCIENCE CENTER folks.

He's been "trained" since 11 mos. He just got over caring, and now he doesn't see why he should bother. Especially if he can get a rise out of us by strategic accidenting.

Ok, but, I do have a possibly-helpful comment. I ran across the tactic of asking him to "hold it" for me because he clearly needed to go desperately as we were going into an Imax show on fish (speaking of marine biology streaks). I asked if he could hold it for 45 minutes, and he said he could. And he did... and then flew out of the theater to the bathroom the second the lights came up.

After a few more shockingly good results, I've stopped asking if he needs to go, and have started asking him to "hold it untill ______" instead, doing my best impression of someone who thinks this holding it task is going to be well nigh impossible.

The biggest change is that he seems to want to generate as much pee as possible when he demonstrates that he has successfully held it -- I think to convince me of how hard he was working to accomplish this great holding-it coup. The side effect is that he needs to go less often, & I think he sees that as a genuine benefit.

I'm a little shy of him holding it too long on a regular basis, but for now it's working surprisingly well (he actually holds it less long, because of the show he has to put on about having a lot of pee in him), and I think it only has to hold so long before he'll just be used to it and not really worry about it any more.

Only about half of the kids in his 3.5-4.5 yr class are out of diapers for the class.

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!