Good luck getting a diagnosis -- we still don't have one even though my DD13 now has a 504 in place. The first ed psych claims there is no dysgraphia since her processing speed on the WISC-IV was on the low end of average. The second ed psych claims it's a medical diagnosis. The pediatrician claims it's an OT diagnosis. The OT says they cannot legally diagnose anything but gave me a report with the same suggested accommodations as a child with dysgraphia. The reality is that she now has an OT test score showing that her visual/motor integration is well below average, the equivalent of a 7 1/2 year old. Does it keep her from making straight As in honors courses in middle school? No. BUT from my own experience in AP classes, don't see any way for her to get through them in high school without accommodations.

Now that I've given our lengthy background, I would say that if I were you, I'd at least get an OT evaluation, whether or not you go the full neuro-psych evaluation route or not. I think it would be much easier to get accommodations in place before your DS hits high school and AP courses/exams. Remember, if you don't have and use accommodations in school, you can't get accommodations on AP/SAT exams.

Good luck!