DS is 8, grade 2 and is currently reading at about a 5.9 on the guided reading level. His teacher assessed him at a 3.1 at the beginning of the year, and has been very dismissive of our assessment. She's been having him read easy books in class (he can read what he wants for his nightly reading at home), and I'm trying to advocate for his using more challenging texts for their in-class reading workshop work.

She sent us an email this morning that he is not performing up to expectations when it comes to reading comprehension. He gives simple answers to questions, sometimes not even answering the question. For example, when asked about secondary characters in a book, he answered that two of the main characters had landed on the moon. She said that he often draws a picture rather than writing in his journal, and that he rarely chooses to do any extra work.

What's interesting is that when I talk to him about his reading, he gives full and detailed answers. I've even seen this in class - he will give me one answer, and then give his teacher a much simpler, "flatter" answer without the colorful details.

What's odd is that he's a very good writer, using excellent descriptives when given unprompted writing or writing his own story given a brief prompt.

I think part of it is that the books in school come so easily to him that he doesn't really try. He also tends to be a little timid when called on in front of class, as he's very concerned about "getting in trouble" or making a mistake. But I think these are only parts of the problem. I've told him that throughout school he'll be expected to read and explain different texts, many of which will not be overly interesting to him.

Are there activities we should be doing at home to encourage him? What would you recommend we do? My husband and I are going to discuss it further and meet with his teacher - in part to encourage her that we see her as a "trusted advisor" and to lean this away from the slightly adversarial nature the discussion has taken. I'm particularly concerned that he's not reaching in reading - which he was at the beginning of the year - and I know he's no longer reaching in math as well.

Thanks very much!