DS 6 year old currently in a pull out half day gifted program. His problem is recess. When he gets into an unstructured environment he tends to get overwhelmed and easily irritated. Apparently when someone is "annoying" him he's started to lash out with his hands and hit. He's been diagnosed ADHD and has very poor impulse control. He also has some OCD tendencies that make anything outside his "rules" upsetting to him. The teachers are great and have been addressing each incident carefully and keeping in good contact with me.

So now the gifted coordinator would like to think up some alternate activities to occupy him during recess to avoid any future issues. We're hitting the library this weekend to pick up some good science books that he can poor over and I'm going to see if there is a good creative (educational if possible) game for his DS. He doesn't like to color and I don't want to send him to school with a mini-dvd player & movies. Thought & suggestions?

Oh and the gifted coordinator is also the head of the full day gifted program he starts next year. I'm anxious that he'll lose his spot due to behavioral issues.