DD7 has been to 12 countries and although she doesn't remember all of it, she does remember. And a year spent somewhere at 6 will definitely leave an imprint.

On schools, I flew to Toronto to look at a school that I thought would work for DD when we move in 15 months. Academically, it would work, but after visiting, I realized she would be miserable. I sat down, the staff got my needs for my gifted daughter but just socially, she would hate it.

Finding the right fit intellectually may mean other issues. Good luck. And I would look for the experience first, then the school, considering it is only a year. Your child may get a lot of out of other things, like museums, concerts, etc. In NYC, you have exposure you can get young people's concerts at both Jazz at Lincoln Center and the Philharmonic. Art classes at both Moma and the Met. You have the zoos and aquarium, the Science centers and the Museum of Natural History. But getting a good school fit...without paying for a gifted private, is hard.