I wanted to address GHS's question. To me, your daughter is asking and you're answering her which you should definitely do (I always did this with my DD but I didn't put her through a program). And of course that's teaching but more like facilitating since your DD is in the lead.

My DD learned to read in huge leaps and bounds and my mother was always concerned about phonics (for a couple of years she'd always said "but she'll have gaps...you have to watch for gaps...) so she got me the type of workbooks you can grab at B&N or where ever. (You can look at all the brands and types and see what you like. Every time she'd come to visit my mother picked out ones that were organized by the sound blends etc. She taught my older sister to read back in the day and my whole family are those breathe-it-in type readers and all have super vocabularies so I guess I trust them.

For the most part my DD seemed to magically know all this stuff and when I'd periodically "check her for gaps" with the books she didn't realy seem to have any. It certainly wouldn't hurt to think about this in the future for your child, and if she gets a teacher that starts telling you she couldn't know this and couldn't know that, you will have alot of confidence to advocate.

A side note...there are lots of online and DVD things but my mother isn't from that generation so that's not what she picked out. Anyway I didn't like my DD with too much electronic time back then because it seemed to make her a bit hyper.

This is all my opinion and advice looking back, and if you have concerns this is a nice low-pressure way to make sure there aren't any gaps.

Last edited by bzylzy; 03/31/12 07:00 AM.