amylou my older sister was like your DD and my mother taught her to read before she entered school. My mother and sister both enjoyed it very much and my mother was so proud (my father too!)She has always been a voracious reader she sort of breathes in the books.

Since I was next my mother took the initiative to teach me too and I had no interest. There is a stereotypical image of early reader=gifted so sometimes when a child is the minority in a family of gifted readers the child gets the impression that slow to read=stupid, especially if the adults become frustrated. So I guess this is my "reading baggage" LOL

I don't want to give the impression that we didn't help DD learn. She was asking "what's that?" with individual letters under age two and if she asked us how to spell things we always answered her. But she showed the interest first and we just followed her.

She has some markers for dyslexia now (we are getting testing done) what might be called "stealth dyslexia" and I think that is one of the reasons she doesn't really love to read and tires of it more easily now. That's a downside of the spontaneous reading and reading ahead of peers some of things things have been covered up.

Last edited by bzylzy; 03/28/12 11:53 AM. Reason: got side-tracked