Wow, thank you all. Great suggestions. I'd never heard of Efofex. It looks really good, and we'll have to see if we go that far.

Master, indeed, copying will have to be addressed. It is our current flash point. Spelling lists are hard to master if you can't even copy the spelling word onto your list properly...

polarbear, thanks in particular for those accommodations. The calculator check in particular will help. I'll ask the vice principal if DD can do that immediately. DD doesn't need extra time, but we're seeing a need to encourage her to slow down. I hope that maybe doing an extra time accommodation will help achieve that.

Not being graded on spelling and capitalization has evidently been put into place for her, though it's not one of the accommodations the VP listed for me. DD didn't get marked wrong on a test this week where it would have been a week ago.

"when working on a page that has another problem worked on it accidentally copy something from the other problem instead of the current problem as he works through solving an equation, or transposing numbers etc. "

Goodness, yes.

Originally Posted by polarbear
You mentioned that your school district isn't used to giving accommodations to students who are accelerated as your dd is - they may not, but I'm guessing they *have* had students in higher level math classes who have needed accommodations whether or not they are accelerated, and the accommodations for a writing disability should be the same, regardless of the student's age.

There's some history here. The school district is on watch this year after a group of parents filed a complaint with the state. The state found in favor of the parents and told the district there was no appeals process. Previously, only the most severely learning disabled students had any accommodations. DD's issues until this year have been interpreted as her being lazy and sloppy. Nothing more. As such, the district teachers have little experience accommodating any students with LDs and have such abilities as DD has. Teachers have seen LD or gifted, no combination of the two, because the kids with LDs didn't qualify for gifted and gifted can't possibly have LDs.

ABQMom, yes, I'm assured that DD's IEP will cross all subjects. So far, she's in with a classroom teacher for all subjects except for math. Even with the IEP, the classroom teacher sees how these issues are crossing into other subjects, and she's aware of them, and accommodations and support are coming. The math is particularly severe this year on account of the screwy "learning" environment. Problems are then compounded by her being monitored by the gifted teacher, someone who has told me that in 25 years of teaching she has never encountered a kid in the gifted program with DD's struggles. Never.

The point you and polarbear make about additional accommodations in the IEP and applying only those that are necessary sounds very sound. Thank you.