My 9 year old 4th grader has been diagnosed with a writing disability that appears to be crossing over into her math performance. She struggles with copying the problems down correctly, checking her work (she's now been changing right answers to wrong because she refers back to the book incorrectly), lining things up, understanding how to show her work, and handwriting. We see zero issues in her understanding of the math. She knows it inside out, backwards, forwards, and standing on its head.

This year has been an absolute disaster. She's working independently in the back of a room of semi-controlled chaos. She's working out of a textbook, copying down all problems out of a book she may not mark in. As of this week, we have informal accommodations in place, many are focused on the specific situation of her current "learning" environment. These are changing on a daily basis at this point as the vice principal is learning the specifics of the arrangement and the struggles. I have a very clear ally in her, but she's still bound to support her teachers and administration.

I'm looking to next year, to get a sense of what kind of accommodations the school may offer when she reenters classroom instruction. It will be 7th grade math (Common Core 7, so pre-algebra 'lite') at the middle school across the street from the elementary school. Everyone is working on the assumption that she'll have an IEP by then.

The district is not used to offering accommodations for kids so far out of sync with the curriculum, and certainly not accelerated as far as she is. I suspect there's more experience here as to appropriate and effective accommodations and interventions than the schools have for kids like mine.

Once you get to middle school math learning environments, what effective interventions have people seen for disabilities such as my daughter's?