Originally Posted by Mancomom
At this point, he does not know how many more sessions this will take, partly, he says, due to her sensitivity each time. She seems to be upset when she does not know an answer, and he has to stop the testing because of her emotional state.
This seems like a reasonable approach. Because schools are used to dealing with average kids, and average 1st graders don't sit still for a very long period of time, testers in schools like to break it up into multiple sessions. Also, kids who know more take much, much longer to test than kids who know less than average, so the testing may be taking longer than anyone expected.

I have been emailing the guidance counselor just so I can guide my DD through this process and try to work to make her feel more comfortable.

This seems totally reasonable to me, but I'm a parent! I would continue to push for this, particularly in light of the tester saying that it was a stressful experience for your DD. If the GC isn't answering your emails, then I would keep writing them and ccing more and more higher up people as you continue to get no response. If that doesn't work I would handwrite a letter and mail it, along the lines of "On x date, y date, and z date I have sent emails requesting a phone call to discuss the testing process. Please set up a meeting time so that I can meet with GC and the tester face to face." ccing everyone in the chain of command.
Does anyone have any experience with 1st-grade testing? Am I right to be concerned about how long this is dragging on?
I wouldn't be at all concerned with how long it's dragging on, as an Individual IQ and achievement test is about 12 hours in all. It sounds like your daughter is unusal in her level of giftedness, which is why they are testing her much younger, and also why she is so upset by not knowing an answer. So I think it's actually a good sign both that they are testing her and that they are making sure she is comfortable enough to 'show what she can do.' I don't like that they 'forgot' that you exist and are a major source of emotional strength for your DD, but, well,this also seems within the realm of what can be expected. Apparently, the majority of students in U.S. schools have parents who want less contact with the schools, not more. ( I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard it from a lot of teachers. )
Hope that helps and welcome to the board!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com