Hi all! I just found this Forum this afternoon in my search to try to educate myself so I can best help my daughter. She is in 1st grade, and is in the process of being tested for the gifted program, whatever that is. In my understanding, she has already leveled up to some type of individual testing with a psychologist.

She has met with him 4 times already over the span of 3 weeks, about 45 minutes each time. At first, she was very upset because he was a man she did not know and he took her to a room she had not been in before. After meeting with him these past three times, she is more comfortable, and they have been meeting in the guidance counselor's office, which she is more comfortable in.

At this point, he does not know how many more sessions this will take, partly, he says, due to her sensitivity each time. She seems to be upset when she does not know an answer, and he has to stop the testing because of her emotional state.

I just don't know what's normal, and cannot find anyone else int he district with a daughter as young as mine being tested. My DD's teacher said she's never had a 1st-grader tested before. I have been emailing the guidance counselor just so I can guide my DD through this process and try to work to make her feel more comfortable.

Does anyone have any experience with 1st-grade testing? Am I right to be concerned about how long this is dragging on?