I am looking to see if anyone has some ideas on the best way to deal with a highly imaginative child. It is the first time I am dealing with this.

My first child DS4 has always been a very analytical child. Although very creative now (he is writing a "novel" as we speak), he had a different approach to things than my second child DS27 mo. So that you know, both kids learned their upper lower case letters, sounds of all the letters, counting to 30, counting to 10 in Spanish and Swedish, all the shapes and colors by about 2 years old.

But this is an example of the difference in them. The other night DS27 mo and I were looking at a picture in the Preschool workbook he loves to work with. It was a picture of a slide, a turtle at the bottom of the slide a dog at the top and a mouse sitting on the ground to the side of the slide. There was also the word D-O-G written on the page. I pointed to the letters and asked what it said. DS4 would always look at the letters OR numbers and let me know what they were and then move on. DS27mo on the other hand, ignored my question sat quiet for a while and then said "Mama, maybe the dog slide down and bump the turtle and turtle fall down and get a booboo and need a band aid. And mouse climb up the ladder and slide down and bump the dog"

There is NEVER a time when he won't make up a story about a picture he sees. THAT is his focus, although most of the time when done with his little story he will point out the letters/numbers or whatever is on the page.

I guess I am just a bit thrown off by this imagination of his, and I am so used to helping the way DS4 wanted things done (getting quizzed). DS27mo wants nothing to do with getting quizzed. He ignores me most of the time...:-)

To all of you with imaginative kids (That IS what I am dealing with right?) how do you stimulate your child's intense drive to create?

Also want to point out that he is EXTREMELY sensitive, a lot more so that DS4. He will not let me read certain passages in books that he finds disturbing in anyway. I am assuming the sensitivities is connected to the creativity?

I just really want to nurture this imaginative side of him since that seems to be who he is. So any tips are appreciated.

Thanks! Annie

Last edited by 1111; 03/11/12 01:42 PM.