And oh those commercials for organizations like Save the Children and World Wildlife Fund! "Mommy - did you hear that? WE HAVE TO HELP THEM!" Just the other day a man approached us on the street asking for money to catch a train home - "Mommy he must really be desperate - WE HAVE TO HELP HIM!"

I love that she is a generous, caring, thoughtful soul. However it will also be so easy for people to take advantage of her. It's a really hard line to walk.

With the man on street I explained that if we were at the train station and he said he needed money for his train ticket home I would happily go to the ticket window and help him buy his ticket but there are people who make up stories and take advantage of other people so we can't just hand someone money on the street. She seemed shocked that people would lie about needing help but accepted the explanation.

With larger world issues we look for tangible ways that she can feel like she is making a difference. i.e. over the past 2 years she has raised approximately $1200 for Relay for Life with a lemonade stand. She also brings dog/cat food, toiletries, toys, etc for every collection box at school. I think as long as she feels like she is doing something it all seems less overwhelming.

Smart kids with anxiety really keep us on our toes don't they?