Anyone have any thoughts on this? My DS5 is Mr. Storyteller. Give him a minute and he will weave you a fascinating and complex tale. I am trying to encourage his creative side by helping him write down his stories since his own writing ability can't keep pace with what he is producing in his head. I just had a conference with his kindergarten teacher who also recognizes is creative streak and wants to support it as well because she sees how he lights up at these activities compared to his general attitude of polite disinterest for most of the more rote activities.

Some of my concerns, however, are:

1. I can't always tell if he believes what he is saying is true or not. I generally assume he does not, but sometimes I wonder because he is so earnest in his telling. So, for example, he tells me that he does all of these crazy things at night while I'm asleep. Or, as a small example from today, he was writing a list of his friends at school. I observed that he only wrote down boys' names and asked him if he ever played with girls. He said no, but they chase me sometimes and pull on my arms. Mildly concerned by this description, I ask for more details. He tells me that all of the girls in all the grades at school pull on his arms at the same time. Clearly, this didn't happen and I am 99 percent sure he is just putting me on, but there is that 1 percent that thinks wow he really seems to believe that happened!

2. He is a storyteller and that sometimes includes not telling the truth. I can't always trust him to be honest and we have talked about how that affects whether I can trust him. I have nightmares of what it will be like when he is a teenager!

3. Telling the difference between reality and fantasy, and the related fears. He asks me all the time if fanciful characters are real or not, because I guess he is just not sure. I have to be really straightforward (No vampires are NOT real, even if the little girl at daycamp said she was one!) and I still don't think he always believes me. He is totally freaked out by the thought of leprechauns and the Tooth Fairy coming into his room. He is terrified of mascot-like characters, although he seems to be getting past that now, thank goodness.

So, just thought I'd throw this out there and see what your experiences have been. The "alligator in the toilet" thread made me think to bring it up for discussion here. smile