My dd skipped later in the process (5th) but I wouldn't rule it out simply b/c it isn't enough. For instance, my dd was still well above grade level in everything post-skip. The way I look @ it, if she hadn't skipped, the fit would have been even worse.

I honestly can't remember exactly when in the year in 4th the skip came up but I do recall that it was a many month process before it was approved. I believe that I called the assigned middle school sometime before or around Christmas to say, essentially, 'here's the kid I have; what will you have to offer when she gets to middle school?' I wasn't requesting a skip, but I wanted to start planning so we knew if we needed to apply for school of choice the following year.

I do recall that the skip was approved before her Explore scores came in and that she took the Explore in February that year so I'd guess that it was about a two or three month process of filling out the IAS, meeting with the school administration, district GT person, having dd shadow at the middle school, etc. This was all with it being the school that was suggesting the skip.

I imagine that it could take longer if the parent is the one suggesting the skip or if the school is less than enthused about it. I'd absolutely bring it up asap b/c you need to have it approved before the end of this school year.