DS6 is in kindergarten this year but has been going up to 2nd grade for Math and Reading for the last two or three months. Recently he has started telling his dad and I that he wants to go to 2nd grade next year and to move up for Math and Reading from there. Just wondering if anyone has any tips to share regarding going from subject acceleration to full grade acceleration? How do we bring this up to the school and what kinds of steps do we need to look at to make the jump?

Thinking about it, I think it does make sense for him to skip up and he's not too worried about changing friends- he's always fit in better with older kids anyway (he loves going to the 2nd grade classes) plus he has a number of age-level friends in the neighborhood (some of which go to his school and others that don't). The thing that get me, though, is that he will still have to skip up for Reading and Math so is the grade skip even useful? His reading level in October was tested at mid 2nd grade level (fluency leveled out around there- comprehension and decoding were both a good bit higher). Currently he is around a mid 3rd grade level (per his 2nd grade sub teacher). He reads 5th-6th grade level books out loud with me (Harry Potter, Horrible Science, etc) but isn't up to reading them silently on his own yet. In math he is doing all of the 2nd grade work without difficulty plus he knows the concepts of multiplication and division (the facts themselves still take him a while), adding and subtracting negative numbers. I just honestly don't know what kind of grade level these things are at and how to know if skipping to 2nd for a baseline and still skipping up even higher for Math and Reading is really going to cover it.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.