The quote you made says, He thinks "the illusion that children’s behavior problems can be cured with drugs prevents us as a society from seeking the more complex solutions that will be necessary".   

That's the thing right there.  "us as a society" is not going to change the way it's running things just for one little child right now at this moment.  Trust me I worry about this.  As a mom I do constantly re-direct, reframe, rephrase, generally work on getting the behavior I want to see out of my kid.  I don't trust that teachers will want to put in that same effort.  My kid's just loud and opinionated and has "a high sense of entitlement".   I resent that other people's "not perfect" is ok, but mine might not be.  I worry.
I want for him to be able to go to school.  I feel like the world has more to offer him than just I do.  I like what aculady posted in a recent thread re:learning styles.  "a noticeable area of strength is a  learning style.   a noticeable weak area is a learning disability".  I want my kid to be able to go to school as long as they have something to offer him.  I don't want him to not be able to go to school because he is unable to participate.  The disparity between that quote above and reality is the difference between just wishing what all of society would do and deciding what you as a parent will do for your child in the circumstances you're given.  I don't think my kid has ADD, but if I thought so I would choose like Art dad to seek out respectable professionals to help find a way to relieve unnecessary suffering.  I'm pretty all natural, I had natural water births for my kids, cook most meals from scratch.  When my kids have seasonal allergies they get children's Claritin.  Why not relieve unnecessary suffering?  

About ADD. From what I've read it's called "the medicine merry go round" because it takes several tries to get the right prescription and dosage because we're all unique, but the results are worth the effort.  I know someone who's kid took Ridlin  through school.   They said it wasn't a cure-all, but what it did was allow him to tell his kid honestly, "the Ridlin is treating the ADD part of your brain, now you are responsible for your behavior and will be held accountable".  

Ps, lol. I told my dad I read about ADD inatentive type and I think maybe that's what I've got because I can't seem to focus. He said, nope, you just have a four year old and a toddler. Your brain went on vacation. Wouldn't you?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar