The decision as to whether or not to medicate for ADHD is tough. It is even tougher when you are not 100% convinced that the diagnosis is correct. As everyone here knows, I've recently gone through this with my HG, dyslexic, dysgraphic DS10 who also has sensory processing disorder. I was very reluctant to believe the ADHD diagnoses, but started the medication merry-go-round last summer. It has been a terrible year of one side effect after another. The medications gave him stomach aches and took his personality away. I was devastated. HOWEVER, we lowered his dosage significantly a few weeks ago and I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER with the outcome. He feels great, his personality is fabulous AND he can concetrate at school! Now, I have to be completely honest and also let you know that his teacher started curriculum compacting about a week and a half ago and that has helped tremendously, too. It is so hard to find the correct answers with gifted kids.

Also, I did a phone consultation yesterday with Dr. Ed Amend. He has written several books on gifted children and on misdiagnosis/dual diagnosis. He was a wealth of information and very friendly. If you are at all questioning your decision, I would highly recommend that you give him a call.