Originally Posted by Catalana
Hi there. Just to give you a little perspective, my DD6 (also 1st grade) is also an amazing reader. However our district won't test more than one full year ahead of the grade. Thus, they stop testing a 1st grader when they hit level N, a 2nd grader at Q, etc. So on the plus side, I am impressed that they are open to the fact that a 1st grader can actually read at Z!

Cat

Gosh Cat that's horrible! Makes me feel better about DS' situation, he might not be getting books at his level but they do know (approximately) where he is. How have you handled it, what does DD do?

Kathy K
You figure out ways around the reading levels issue - especially when they are little, they get so much out of reading picture books even when they can read beyond it. They just plow through it quickly but it's still enjoyable. DS 5 almost 6 as he is now saying, doesn't want me to get him picture books anymore. But he doesn't really like books with no pictures yet. But he is also a huge nonfiction reader so it balances out. It's tough when things he liked had non age appropriate material so i started having to figure out what i didnt want him to read about yet. We let him read stuff which and bullying in it and even Arthur books had girl-boy issues in them. Also DS is a bit of a fraidy cat, so no HP yet.
His science interests are actually more difficult becasue they just don't make a lot of high quality science with pictures with new info, it's been hard to find space stuff he hasn't already learned. However, we did the unthinkable - we cut pages out of David McCauley's book, the way we work, it's fabulous for DS with high level science and great pictures. He is so into it but the reproductive section was so graphic we just couldn't leave it in, DS has never even asked the how did mommy and daddy combine, even though he knows the genetics at a deep level. He hasn't noticed the torn pages and I feel guilty for violating the book, but it is one way to deal with it!!!

DeHe